Tuesday, July 19, 2016

I'm Not the Entertainment Committee - A Commentary

So this picture [below] pops up on my Facebook newsfeed and I'm instantly intrigued.  Lately all I've been hearing about is the augmented reality game Pokemon Go, and I've been contemplating giving it a try - even though I know absolutely zilch about Pokemon.  But then I read the caption below the picture, "Your kids bored at school? Tell them to get over it." and I think, "What???"

You see, the most recent book in my "summer professional development series", Launch (2016) by John Spencer and A.J. Juliani, has gotten my mind flowing. Design thinking, growth mindset, the maker movement, Teach Like a Pirate (TLAP): that is what I have been thinking about.  So when high school English teacher, Laura Hanby Hudgens, suggests students should just get over it [boredom], "As a result we have a generation of students who think that if a lesson or an assignment or a class is not interesting, if it isn't engaging and fun and inspiring, then it simply isn't worth caring about", I have to respectfully disagree.
http://hrld.us/29U195b

As educators, our aim should be to capture a child's imagination. We should be encouraging play and exploration and excitement for learning. To do this we must be intentional about getting into their world.  Activities that are relevant, authentic, and engaging help students to see how school relates to the real world and in turn prevents apathy.  As Dave Burgess puts it in TLAP (2012),
"Education can be used to uplift and inspire or it can be used as a hammer to bludgeon and bat down.  We must collectively agree educating the next generation is worth the time and effort and that our students deserve to be uplifted and inspired."
 I'd love to hear your thoughts...

7 comments:

  1. I, too, saw this post and found it great food for thought. I agree that our aim should be to capture a child's imagination as you say above, but I also think Laura has a valid point. I teach algebra, and while I try to make my lessons entertaining and fun, there is only so much I can do. I have to teach the basics that most of my special education kids are missing. There are lessons that are difficult, and many see math in general as boring. Not every lesson has to be a horse and pony show, just as not everything in real life is fun. I don't think many of us could keep up with that ideal. Sometimes it can be a valuable life lesson to understand that no, you don't like this; no, it's not fun, but you have to do it anyway. So I find both sides of this argument valid and feel both have their place in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Joana! Thanks so much for your thoughts on this and for including the TLAP and Launch perspective. Count me firmly as in the #MakeSchoolAmazing camp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself going back and forth in my head over the issue of teachers rapidly trying to adapt to such a dramatic shift in the type of student we have. So many questions! Is this generation really that different? Should the students adapt to school being different than life outside with devices in front of their faces? Can't their be a better compromise between the two camps?

    I think it boils down to connections with students and teachers who can capitalize on their love of apps and tech will most likely build better connections and create a love of learning in that classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember an earlier course in the program and I recall discussing the idea of the "net-generation" and how they can multitask and get bored easily. However, as a teacher, we need to find ways for the students to get interested personally and intrinsically. We cannot just keep bringing in new, fun, and fancy technology and games to keep kids entertained and engaged.

    We need to find ways to create authentic learning - where the skills and concepts can be connected to a student's life. While this isn't always "fun", it is important. Thanks for the article resource!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that as educators it is important to create lessons that are engaging, and as Ms. Lauritsen said, authentic! The "fun" is up to interpretation. What I consider fun and what my high school students consider fun is many times on a completely different level. Striving to be "fun" can be exhausting and I do believe there are times where students need to learn in a lecture format, which may be considered "boring." There will be times in their future (college, careers, meetings, etc.) where they will feel bored. But, that is life! Although engaging and meaningful lessons are very important, I think educators need to remember that they are just that. Educators, not circus leaders. Loved this discussion thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I couldn't have said it any better! As another educator who wants students to feel that everything a student does is creative. I've started to shift this thought process within my projects my students do for me. We don't give them enough create for coming up with something that is unique and their own, but when we you give them some freedom to express they shine through with the most unexpected and most brilliant ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your comments! This is exactly the discussion I was hoping to prompt. I feel that inside of every teacher's heart is the desire to do their best for their students. And along with that comes the desire to make their subject meaningful. But somewhere between that desire and the reality of every day in the classroom comes the boredom students dread. Our calling is to inspire the next generation.

    ReplyDelete