Monday, July 11, 2016

Read the best books first...


Read the best books first, or you may not have chance to read them all. Henry David Thoreau

A current theme recurring in my life right now is TIME, or lack of it.  Yes, I am a teacher. And yes, I have the summer "off".  But my summer off includes cleaning a house that hasn't seen a vacuum cleaner in months, spending quality time with my family, and my newest endeavor: getting my graduate degree in educational technology.  So one of the things I don't seem to have enough time for is reading, one of my favorite activities.  Following is my list of books that I am currently reading; or desperately want to read before the summer is over.  Maybe a few more beach days with just my books and the sand are in order?!

Teach Like a Pirate: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator by Dave Burgess. A fantastically, inspirational book that challenges us to break out of our shells and inspire our students. 
"For many students, school is filled with monotony, drudgery, and soul-killing suckiness. When I think about a student's typical school day, it makes me completely understand why so many of them don't want to be there.  Too often school is a place where creativity is systematically killed, individuality is stamped out, and boredom reigns supreme.  There are really only two possibilities; either your class can be a reprieve from all of that or it can be a contributing factor.  I am thoroughly committed to having my class be a reprieve." (p. 55) 
Wow! This book, which I have actually finished, challenged me to make every day in the classroom count.

Educational Technology: A Definition with a Commentary by Alan Januszewski and Michael Molenda. A required read for my EDTech 501 class.  My first thought when I saw this book was, "The authors needed 369 pages to define 'educational technology'?!" In reality, the authors introduce educational technology as defined by the Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT) on the first page.  The rest of the book provides commentary on each of the key concepts of the definition.  Perhaps not a page turner, but definitely a good read for anyone interested in the pedagogy of technology integration.

Creating Cultures of Thinking: The 8 Forces We Must Master to Truly Transform Our Schools by Ron Ritchhart. Ritchhart, director of the Cultures of Thinking Project explains that when students know that their thinking is important and valued, they become invested in the class and a creative class culture is created.  By employing the "8 cultural forces", Ritchhart believes our classrooms can be transformed.  If you truly believe that schools should be more than just the memorizing of facts and passing of tests then Creating Cultures of Thinking is a must read.

Worlds of Making: Best Practice for Establishing a Makerspace for Your School by Laura Fleming. One of my goals for this upcoming school year is to create a Makerspace in my classroom. I dream of an environment where kids are free to experiment, explore, invent, and create to their hearts' content. This book is a quick read (just 65 pages) but chock full of practical advice.  Whether your Makerspace is going to be primarily recyclables and arts & crafts or a high-tech workshop equipped with all the latest gadgets, Fleming shares why the maker movement is integral to bringing 21st century learning to your school.

The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity by George Couros. I must be honest, I have not even read the introduction to this book!  I bought it simply because Couros is one of the most inspiring people in the field of education that I follow on Twitter.  The back cover states, 
"The Innovator's Mindset is for you if: You are a teacher who wants to create relevant learning experiences and help students develop the skills they need to be successful."
Yes!  That's me!  This book is on my 'read before the end of the summer' list.

I'm sure before the summer is over and I'm welcoming a new group of 6th graders to my room, I will add a few more books to my list.  But for now, I think I have enough to keep me busy:).

Update 7/21/16:  I just finished LAUNCH: Using Design Thinking to Boost Creativity and Bring Out the Maker in Every Student by A.J. Juliani and John Spencer.  Another fantastically inspirational read.  Juliani and Spencer explain how The LAUNCH Cycle will revolutionize your classroom.  I can't wait to LAUNCH this fall and see my students dream, create, imagine, innovate, and explore!

10 comments:

  1. Wow Joana! You have quite the awesome reading list to get through this summer. I also have a list of books I would love to read along with vacuuming and catching up! I happened to watch George Couros speaking recently at ISTE, well through Periscope as I was #NotAtISTE16. https://twitter.com/davenportcass/status/747572579406225408 I appreciate his work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have never used Periscope. Can you give me a little advice on the best way to use it?

      Delete
  2. Love the idea for "reading the best books first". Funny enough, that Teach Like a Pirate book was suggested to me in a workshop just today! I will now have to try it out as I am always looking for a new perspective on my teaching style and classroom, especially as a science teacher. Makerspaces is another aspect I have not even dabbled in yet and I feel that book may be a good starting point for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome! Teach Like a Pirate #TLAP is more about teaching style whereas Worlds of Making is about setting up a Makerspace in your room. I am excited to set one up this year for my 6th graders!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this great list of books! I definitely would love to read the Teach Like a Pirate, it sounds great. This summer I went to a Career & Technical Education conference and heard Tim Elmore speak and we were all given his book Generation iY. I have yet to read it, but plan to soon. Might be a good one to add to your list since you teach 6th grade! I also suggest you try to find some time to read some books for you that have nothing to do with education! I know it is hard even in the summer, but I have read a few this summer and it has been great! Hopefully you can find some time in between the vacuuming :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check out Generation iY. I am also reading "The Best of Our Spies" by Alex Gerlis. A historical fiction book about WWII and purely for pleasure:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanna,
    Thanks for this fantastic list of books. There is so much out there, sometimes it gets overwhelming to choose which books to read in the time that I have, so this list is a great springboard for me. I immediately started researching more about the topics so that I can narrow my choice down and begin reading. If you're going to be looking for more "just for pleasure" books, I loved The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, and I also enjoyed The Book of Joe by Jonathon Tropper. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, I'm so glad this list helps you! That is definitely my goal in this blog. Like you, I research books on the topics I am interested in, but it is always helpful to know others have read and benefitted from a book I'm thinking of reading. I get a lot of my recommendations from my #PLN on #Twitter. I will check out the two you mentioned. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Hey, it's me again....just wanted to let you know - wow has your list really pushed me through the rabbit hole! I just looked up and realized it's 10:30pm...I've been online reading blogs and looking up books since I began from your list. Well, I guess I'll be working on reading more of our classmate's blogs tomorrow, as now it's time to me to catch some zzzzz's! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain. I'm often up reading way past my bedtime!!

      Delete