Thursday, July 28, 2016

How a "New" Couch Will Encourage Patience, Understanding, and Collaboration Among My Students.

Well here it is: The newest "addition" to our new and improved 2016-2017 6C classroom:
"A couch in a classroom??" you may be thinking. Yes, indeed.  I want my classroom to be a space that my students want to spend time in.  One where they feel comfortable and loved.  It's why I'm adding a Makerspace, an aquarium, and a couch! And I'm doing it all on a low, low, LOW budget - as in free, well almost.  The aquarium, taken from my oldest son's bedroom, had nothing living in it other than a gross amount of algae - ewww!  Hubby cleaned it and the contents and helped me lug it to school. It's all set up and ready for the fish and the kids.  The MakerSpace (part of our 'design thinking' curriculum) is full of stuff I've had in my science cabinet for years - old, broken games, unused kid rockets, soil test kits, a broken laptop, and more. Confession: at home I throw everything away, at school, I hoard. I think hoarding is a part of a teacher's DNA.

Anyway, back to the couch. I started thinking about redesigning my classroom earlier this summer. Inspired by many Twitter friends (thankyou @dennisdill) to #StarbucksMyClassroom, I knew I wanted to add a comfortable seating area.  I scoured Craigslist for weeks looking for a free futon but to no avail.  Then one day I happened into the newly opened Habitat for Humanity Restore near my house and lo and behold, found the couch.  It was tagged at $40, too steep for my budget so I sadly walked away.  I went back a few days later to see what else they had and guess what, the couch was reduced to $25!  SOLD!!  Hubby cleaned it (isn't he great?!?!) and helped me lug it into school. I threw an old blanket and some pillows we never use at home onto it and BAM!, it's ready for the kids!!

So how is an old couch going to perform the magic I suggested in the title of this post? Well, I wrote down some "couch rules" so the kids wouldn't tackle each other to get to the couch each day, and I am hoping (optimistically) that the kids will love the couch so much, that they won't want to jeopardize their chance to get a turn. Yes, it will require patience (especially on my part), understanding, the ability to get along, and some prayer certainly won't hurt.

So will the couch be a permanent fixture in our class or will it be the next dumpster victim? I'll let you know how it's going in a month when school begins...

7 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME! I cannot wait to hear what the kids think of the new additions. I know when the kids 1st saw my classroom couch they acted like they had never seen a couch before. It was like a foreign object and they loved it. This will change the vibe of your room. Can't wait to read more about your classroom adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. Unfortunately, my district does not allow anything like this. They cleaned everything out several years ago on orders of the fire marshal. Nothing upholstered and nothing that was not purchased by the school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I completely understand as my school is fairly strict as well! One of my fellow teachers was recently told that she could not have an Apple TV in her room because the wire would be a "tripping hazard". She then requested to have it installed wirelessly, to which she was told, 'purchase the Apple TV yourself, put in a help ticket, and we'll see what we can do'.
      As far as the aquarium, I am going with the 'better to seek forgiveness that permission' route:)

      Delete
  3. I love this idea and can't wait to hear how it turns out. I'm all for a comfy spot for the kids. I try to have a little book nook in my classroom and at one point was successful. However, new classroom this year and my room is half the size :( Oh well, I suppose it just gives me a chance to get creative in another way! I hope the couch goes awesome by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My class is pretty small (25'x25') and with 26 sixth graders, it gets pretty crowded. I did get rid of one large storage cabinet and better organized my supplies. I am also replacing my standard teacher desk with a more mobile type desk. I'll let you know how it all turns out!

      Delete
  4. Hi Joanna - I love that you are adding the couch to your classroom. I've been lucky enough to have been the recipient of a couch from a previous teacher. This couch, not only serves as a comfortable space for my students to work, but it has helped make my room the place to hang out before school, between classes, and sometimes during lunch break. The middle school students have a fair amount of freedom at our school. Every morning, I get to be a part of (on the sideline) morning conversations amongst the students, which has given me the chance to become close with students who I don't even teach. It has even served as a short nap spot for a kid or two who had a long night; they come to crash for a bit before school begins (we have many Korean students who go to Korean school each afternoon after 'regular' school - so crazy for them). It's been great. I hope it works out! I'm also excited about your makerspace. Can't wait to hear how it all goes - I'll be watching for your posts on twitter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan, I love that you are a part of your students' lives beyond the classroom. It is amazing what we can do when we show them we care. Thanks for your encouragement. I will let you know how the year progresses.

      Delete