Friday, August 12, 2016

Summer Reflections: A Teacher's Journey


Before I embark on another school year and head into my 20+ year of teaching, I wanted to take a moment and reflect on this past summer. For me it was a summer unlike many other summers I've had. At the start of the summer I celebrated 25 years of marriage to my wonderful husband with a few days away. And while I did have some days at the beach and lots of good times with great friends, I started something brand new this summer: graduate school! Getting my Masters degree in Educational Technology is something I've wanted to do for many years but could never find the time or energy. Not that I have more energy now, mind you, but with my youngest child entering her junior year of high school and my two oldest out of school, I thought 'it's now or never'!
It was definitely a whirlwind of classwork as two regular semester courses were squashed into seven weeks. Even with the fast pace, I learned so much and I'm heading back to school with plenty of new ideas for the classroom. 
But outside of the core subjects themselves, I learned something else: There is an amazing community of teachers out there willing to support you and offer encouragement along the way. Whether it was collaborating on a group project, offering advice on my blog posts, or giving me that 'You can do it!' speech when I thought that I might lose my mind, these teacher friends demonstrated the true meaning of camaraderie. 
So this post goes out to all of you out there cheering one another along on this journey. A special shout out goes to my Group A Edtech 501 colleagues: Linda B., Kendal C., Michelle A., and Glenndon W., to my blogging buddy Lisa M, and to all of my fabulous PLN friends: Dennis, Marilyn, Akilah, and Teresa (who was kind enough to write a guest post for me). I aspire to the likes of A.J. Juliani, John Spencer, and Dave Burgess.  To all of the teacher community: thank you for continuing to inspire, support, guide, and cheer. Continue to be AWESOME!
Before this gets too warm and fuzzy, I will sign off for now.
Best wishes for an amazing school year!!
Joanna

11 comments:

  1. Every time you post, our similarities strike me. This will be my 24th year in the classroom. I started last summer because my youngest was going to be a senior in high school and I needed to find something to do with myself. I have a handful of teachers I have grown close to that I would never have met otherwise, and learned so much about myself in the process. I love that fact that I can immediately use what I have learned at BSU in my classroom. I'm so grateful for the experience! Looking forward to staying in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of I things I am enjoying about the classes at BSU - the connections I am making and the practical applications I see in the classroom. I am also looking forward to "comparing notes" this school year!

      Delete
  2. I remember when I started the MET program I felt like such an outsider,being that I'm not a traditional educator I thought I world be like a fish out of water. I'm so happy I was wrong, everyone that I have encountered have been very receptive, helpful, and beyond friendly. I can't tell you how much of a difference that made for me my belief in what i can do, especially when learning theories were tossed around as if it was common place, what ever the challenge I came to appreciate the professors efforts and my classmates ability to to be helpful; this had been a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes to show how much people really come together when they share a common experience. One thing I found in our group project was that we all had different gifts and talents, but together we were able to create a great presentation.

      Delete
    2. I found that to be so true, when I was at my wits end I reached out, not thinking I would get any response, and one or more classmates would bring ideas to the table even though they have little to know idea what a respiratory therapist does...Great Stuff!

      Delete
    3. It is great meeting so many people from so many walks of life.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on so many wonderful Anniversaries this Summer! And best of luck in your new school year as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish you well in the year ahead as well.

      Delete
  4. It is quite the whirlwind of coursework, but it is wonderful to have all of the great tools to take with you! Best of luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to using my newfound knowledge in the classroom!

      Delete
  5. Great post! It is crazy to me as well how much we are able to get to know one another through BSU's online learning. This was something that I was worried about when I decided to go through the program, but taking the courses (especially EdTech 537!) has allowed me to collaborate on many different levels! Good luck on the rest of your journey through the program and have a great school year! I have enjoyed reading your posts this semester!

    ReplyDelete