Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The Journey Continues: Design Thinking in the Classroom

Like all teachers, I spend a good part of my "summers off" thinking about and coming up with ways to improve.  Improve my classroom, improve my teaching style, improve the experience for my students, & improve myself as an educator.
One goal I have is to transition to a student-centered, inquiry based classroom. Last year I introduced Project Based Learning (PBL) to my science classes and knew that I wanted to expand on the PBL model for this year. As my summer reading began, I came across a wonderful book called LAUNCH: Using Design Thinking to Boost Creativity and Bring Out the Maker in Every Student. I was immediately hooked.
Just the dedication alone is enough to inspire you:

Co-authors, John Spencer and A.J. Juliani clearly explain how & why we need to use Design Thinking as our primary teaching model.
And so I have revised my lesson plans, tweaked my study guides, and am getting ready to LAUNCH in just a couple of weeks when my students return.  Here are some links that may help you to see how and why design thinking is right for your classroom.
  1. LAUNCH by John Spencer and A.J. Juliani (I would be remiss not to include my original inspiration in my links.
  2. Edutopia: Design Thinking: Lessons for the Classroom
  3. Mindshift: How to Apply Design Thinking in Class, Step by Step
  4. A.J. Juliani: The Beginner's Guide to Design Thinking in the Classroom
  5. Pinterest: Worlds of Design Thinking There are tons of boards on Pinterest on Design Thinking.  Here is just one.
  6. Renovated Learning Blog: Building a Culture of Creativity & Discovery in Education
Please don't hesitate to comment below with any comments, thoughts, or experiences you have with design thinking in the classroom.




6 comments:

  1. Great dedication! I struggle with PBL with my students. Few are able to handle the mindset that it requires. I've tried a few things from Mathalicious but they always seem to devolve into more of a direct instruction, work through it together thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, It is an adjustment. Many of mine struggled with it last year and I am making some changes for this year. I had gone from a traditional "science fair" to PBL and many were disappointed that they didn't get to experiment on something. I am adding the 'make a prototype' component this year, along with some other changes. I will say that after it was all said and done, I had a lot of positive feedback from my admin and many students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, thank you for the resources. As someone who is taking a break from the classroom, I am reminded that I can use blogs and books to help keep my thinking fresh during my time away. I have seen PBL, but had not heard about LAUNCH until this Summer Term with BSU. You have piqued my interest. Good luck with your changes in your lessons as you begin the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I feel like LAUNCH (or design thinking) is a step further than PBL that can be used as a framework for all classes. I will let you know how it goes!!

      Delete
  4. Huh, I will have to check out Pinterest! I am a huge advocate for projects in my unit. While other teachers seem to do the traditional way of instruction, I use projects! It's always nice to see other resources to help with me and continuing to use projects. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt! I also think projects are a great way for students to demonstrate their learning. Design thinking goes a step further a to help students learn empathy and create authentic products that they share with the world.

      Delete